Now that I have a limited amount of time to live I have decided to follow my dream of pursuing a MAJOR live poker title. Along the way I am hoping to raise awareness for a disease that while uncommon is very real and affects the lives of many people.
I hope I do not annoy people when I sit with them at the poker table I always give them a brief spiel about what Sarcoma is. Had I had ever heard of it there would have been a chance my life could have been saved.
I am not looking for pity I have lived a great life, but if even one person can be saved by this blog than it was worth it. The following are some key facts about Sarcoma:
- There are over 150 types of Sarcoma
- Sarcoma is a cancer of the bone or connective tissues
- Tissue Sarcoma is referred to as STS or Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Sarcoma when caught EARLY is very treatable
- Many PCP doctors have not heard of nor will ever see a Sarcoma in their practice
- Over 70% of Sarcomas are found during a surgical procedure on ACCIDENT
- The most common locations of Sarcoma are the rear compartments of the thigh, biceps but they also can occur anywhere in the arms or legs
- A Sarcoma can be soft or hard and feels like a lump ranging from the size of a grape to a golf ball, they are often discovered at the site of muscle tears or other traumatic injuries
- Treatment at a SPECIALIZED Sarcoma Center is important
- BIOPSY of ANY MASS in your arms and legs is imperative; DO NOT let doctors tell you different
- Sarcoma that spreads to the lungs and other vital organs leads to an extremely poor prognosis, early detection is key
Google sources like the American Cancer Society and MacmillianUK for more in-depth technical and medical information about Sarcoma. I donate a portion of my winnings voluntarily to St. Judes.